Take a self-guided tour of the Trent Hills section of the Champlain Route. Two plaques have been placed along the trail
- The Portage of Percy (Boom Road in Campbellford)
- The Portage of Percy (Richardson Road Plate at Hastings)
The Portage of Percy has been an important passage used for centuries by the Hurons, Iroquois and Mississaugas. He also served plot for the first overland route in the region for the pioneers and those who went up to the North in the early 19 th century.
The Ojibwa name of the Trent River, Sagetewedgewam , means “difficult to navigate river”. Thanks to the portage that began near this place, travelers could avoid the rapids and waterfalls that are on this river between places known today as Meyersburg and the village of Hastings.
It is possible that Samuel de Champlain used this portage in September 1615 when he traveled south with his Huron and Algonquin allies to fight the Iroquois in upstate New York.